Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Grilled Steak and Onion Sandwich

This was dinner tonight and it's a keeper.

Skirt steak is already a small piece of meat because it's so thin, so cutting it down to a single serving size before cooking doesn't work well as the meat will overcook. And overcooked skirt steak = tough = blech. So even if you're making this for one, just cook the whole pound of skirt steak.

I like to marinade in a plastic bag. So easy to dump all the ingredients in the bag, smush them around with your hand, then drop in the meat and smush it around; seal and let sit. And then just toss the bag. ("Smush" is a very technical cooking term...)

Sigh. The gas grill wouldn't light. So, I just popped this under the broiler on a sheet pan with a rack set on it for the same amount of time. Perfectly cooked.

No food processor, no problem! It's not as if finely diced only became a thing when food processors were invented. You're not chopping that much, so just start chopping with a good chef's knife, first in one direction and then the other, until you get the consistency/size you want.

I tasted the skirt steak when it came out of the broiler and, wow, that's a lot of vinegar. And then there is more vinegar in the onion mixture. But surprise! When all that vinegar gets together inside a sandwich, it's actually perfect.

I didn't have arugula on hand, so I just used another lettuce - red leaf, I think - that I did have in the fridge. I used sourdough bread, and instead of Parm shavings, I had some "fancy" shredded Parm (thanks, Aunt Cindy, for your beach leftovers) that I just sprinkled over the sliced steak.

I think the rest of the steak is going to be delicious over some salad with balsamic vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment