Monday, June 13, 2016

Grilled Corn with Onion & Chile Butter

From this month's issue of Bon Appetit, there's a recipe for Grilled Corn on the Cob with a Spring Onion and Sesame-Chile Butter. I was too lazy to walk out to the grill and stand there for 30 minutes, so I cooked mine on a grill pan on the stove. It got a little smoky inside, but this would be something I'd do again if I were grilling other things (outside) and wanted to add corn to the mix. (My other favorite way to cook corn on the grill is to shuck the corn, and wrap it in foil with a pat or two of butter and some sprigs of dill.) I charred the outside pretty good, but unlike the picture in the link the kernels inside weren't charred at all, just perfectly tender. I can't tell if the grilling made the corn sweeter or if this was just a good, sweet batch of corn. I mixed up some of the butter, but skipped the fancy ingredient and just went with all red pepper flakes. The spice of the pepper with the sweet corn was a yummy combo. I mashed together with a fork:

About 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter
About 1/3 of a green onion, grilled next to the corn for a few minutes until soft and then sliced thin
Half a dozen shakes of the red pepper flakes spice container
A generous sprinkling of salt and pepper

Phase 2 of dinner is still a couple of hours away, the result of poor planning and failure to check my recipe ahead and notice that I needed to marinate for a couple of hours before tossing in the oven for an hour. So it's a good thing I had a delicious ear of corn to eat to tide me over!

No comments:

Post a Comment